Saturday 23 May 2009

Day Twenty-Two - Business as Usual.

Today was a fairly routine day as far as this trip is concerned.

I woke up with a headache, which put me in an unmotivated mood straight away. I knew I wasn't going to be going that far, so I went back to sleep for a bit. I eventually got on the road at about 9:45. The hills didn't seem to be as yesterday, though I don't know if that was just me being used to it. Anyhow, the riding was fairly uneventful, with the scenery consisting of lots and lots of fields. The sun was hot today, and the greenery made it fairly humid.

Again, dogs weren't too much trouble today, I did have a couple of chases but nothing too big of a deal. Of all creatures, birds and bees seemed to be the theme of today. Birds, because they jump out at you when you go past, and bees, because they seem to all fly into my face at about a million miles an hour.

Another thing that I noticed from today were these little streets that are in the middle of nowhere (I say the middle of nowhere, they tend to be within 15 miles of towns). I've seen them about before, but today I noticed them because there were a few. They're difficult to describe why they look weird, I think its because they look so normal. I know that sounds stupid, but you have to imagine how I see it. You've been cycling through sparse countryside all day, and the only buildings you go past are barns, or old country houses on the road you are going along. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, a perfectly formed street of detached houses, back gardens and polished cars on the drive. It's as if the street has been lifted straight out of a city suburb somewhere. I hope you know the kind of thing I mean, I've explained it as best I can. If I see any more, I'll get a picture.

I'm starting to not mind this part of Kentucky so much, the surroundings are a bit nicer than the eastside. I'm currently in Bardstown, which from what I've seen is a nice place. It's special for two reasons - firstly the first full leg amputation in the US took place at a hospital just down the road, and secondly because there is a roundabout (of sorts, it just about works, only you give way to the right at one point...)

Tomorrow, I'm aiming to head to somewhere in the middle of nowhere to camp. It's about 7 or so miles outside of a small town called Hudson, and an even lesser distance to the time-zone line between eastern time and central time. I'm also about to pass the Quarter mark tomorrow, which is roughly 950 miles. :)

I doubt I'll get to update this tomorrow, perhaps not the next day either. After tomorrow, I'll head to Utica to camp again, and then Marion, which is just short of the border to Illinois. That's the plan anyway!

No comments: