Thursday 14 May 2009

Day Thirteen - Map Change.

Today is an important milestone as far as this trip is concerned because I went from map 12 to map 11 (they go down to 2 or 3 I think because of the route I'm going). A sure sign of progress. :)

I woke up this morning at around 7:30, and went down to the buffet for breakfast. It wasn't as grand as I had pictured it, the only hot item on offer were eggs, which I didn't fancy. I stocked up on cereal and mini-bagel type things, and was on my way by 9:30. I'd love to tell an interesting story about my cycling today, but to be honest, it was pretty straightforward. I was on the same country road for about 40 miles, and it was very up and down. I've since caught a glimpse of my new map for this week or so, and the elevation profile much resembles a heart rate monitor, so I won't complain for now.

I arrived in Christiansburg at about 2pm, and went to a grocery store for a spot of lunch. By stroke of luck, I found some WiFi floating about, so I got a chance to reply to some fan mail, go on Facebook, all the important stuff. I then phoned Sarah Lee of the Lee family, where I was hoping to stay tonight. They were glad to have me, so I headed down to Radford to find their house. After a fair bit of searching, I found the house, but it was empty. I decided to go up the road to watch some little league baseball, which reminded me of under 11/14 hockey - the parents were more competetive than the people who were playing. I watched about 4 innings, and headed back to the house. They were in this time, and I was that they were buying me dinner at a Mongolian Buffet. I couldn't believe my luck, and went upstairs to shower and get ready. The buffet was massive, about 5 times (at least) of a buffet at a curry house here, and had all of the 'usual' oriental type dishes. After eating my fair share, we came back, and I now find myself here writing this. I'm probably going to head to Wytheville or Rural Retreat, depending on these forcast scattered thunderstorms.. I probably will camp though, I can dry myself out at Damascus the day after. :)

No comments: