Friday 15 May 2009

Day Fourteen - 'Rolling' Hills.

I woke up this morning at about 7:30, after a much needed good nights sleep. I had some cereal and a bagel, and got on my way at about 9:45. The weather today was very humid, but not too hot.

My planned day today was slightly shorter than usual, mainly because the weather forcast for tonight is thunder and rain, which I could do without. I'm therefore staying in a $35 motel in Wytheville, about 45 miles from Radford.

My day was very similar to yesterday, fairly up and down without any flat. A lot of the countryside in this part of Virginia is farmland, which doesn't make for the most exciting riding, or interesting stories about my riding.

I was overtaken by a girl (no jokes please, she had no panniers) who was cycling down the east coast, finshing up in Damascus, 50 miles from where I am now. Apparently there is some kind of festival-fair type thing there this weekend, geared towards the Appalacian Trail. I don't think I can afford a rest day yet to go to to the whole of the Saturday, but ill definitely go down tomorrow night. I was hoping to stay in a hostel at a church there, but it's fairly likely that it'll be full, so camping it is. I'll just have to put my
tent somewhere where Ill actually get some sleep.

A couple of people were asking me how I found out about the Lee's where I stayed last night. I got their address from the Cookie Lady, and they said that they were more than happy to have cyclists stay. For any cyclists that are reading this and are interested, email me and I'll give you their address + number, it's not really my place to post it on the Internet.

Anyway. I arrived in Wytheville at about 3pm, booked into my motel, spoke to home, then went for a walk. This town is like a lot of American towns I've been to so far, there is one 'main street' where everything is, and not a lot else.

I'm sorry these posts from the last couple of days have been a bit boring, once I get past these hills in a week (or less with any luck), Ill be moving a lot faster and will be going further, so hopefully that will be better. Tomorrow I have the option of going about a mile off the route to go to Tennessee (sp?). If I'm making good time, I might well just do it, just so I can say I've been there. :)

I don't know if I'll be able to post tomorrow. I'm headed to Damascus tomorrow as I said, and then a place called 'Council' the night after. After then, Im not too sure, but it'll be in Kentucky. :) I'll try my best to update you on my progress asap.

No comments: