Friday 8 May 2009

Day Six - Started.

(Sorry for the lack of updates, this post refers to Wednesday 6th May.)

Today, I am happy to report that I have started cycling! I checked out of my room at about 10:30am, and got a taxi down to where my bike was being rebuilt. Luckily, it was ready for me on arrival. Perhaps it was the prayer my taxi driver said for me before I got out (he took quite an interest in my travels). I cycled up to Old Yorktown, In particular Victory Momument, and set off at 1pm on the dot. (don't ask me where all that time went, because I have no idea either). It took me a while to cover the first mile, as I had to stop for the obligatory 'dip my rear wheel into the Atlantic'. I set off down a road called 'Colonial Parkway', which had a single lane either way, with an overtaking lane in the middle, which made the whole thing more pleasant than cycling on a normal road. I arrived in Williamsburg, which was like being transported backwards 100? 200? 300? 400? years..? I have no idea about American History, but there were people on horse & cart, and women carrying around pales. I wasn't sure if it was a tourist attraction (there were tourists everywhere, but I don't know if it was how they really all live, or if they're just pretending. It was pretty surreal either way.

I for lost around here for quite a while, I didn't realise where I was was the entirity of the place. I eventually found my way, and continued towards Jamestowne (with an 'e' apparently). I stopped for a quick rest here, but regretted it (sort of) afterwards. There were flies EVERYWHERE! It was probably a combination of me smelling, and being close to water. I left here and headed to Charles City, my stopover point. This was my first taste of how straight American roads can be, and straight they are. So straight that you can still see the car ahead of you that overtook you about 10 minutes ago. I was flagging at this point, my saddle was hurting me (that's what you get
for not riding for a while) and my legs were aching. Since I set off at 1pm, I needed to make sure I made it to Charles City before dark, which I did do, though I don't know what time. Before 6 I think. It was just as well too, because as forcast, the heavens opened, rain thunder and lightning throughout the evening and night. I am staying in a B&B, which is essentially a ladys house with a spare room. She was kind enough to make me cheese on toast earlier, which was nice of her. I can't remember where I'm heading tomorrow because I left my map with my bike, but I'll have more than 5 hours to complete my days cycling. I went about 50 miles of my route today, and about 10 miles getting to my start point. I'm suitably tired, and so will be going to sleep now (9:15pm) in order to be up for breakfast at 8:30am, hopefully on the road by 9.

No comments: