Monday 4 May 2009

Day Three - The Waiting Game.

Okay, so not a lot to report about today. Went to the supermarkt in the morning to get some general stuff, including some much needed vitamin C. I've decided that the best thing to do is pretty much conserve my money and wait by the phone for anyone to call about the bike.

The only news I have is that it definitely boarded the plane at London Heathrow, so i'm pretty sure it's at Atlanta, I'm pretty sure it isn't at Newport News, and if it is, it'll be sent over soonish. Customs at Atlanta were called too, and it would have definitely got through there (so they say) so it's not there. How many different places could it be?!

4 comments:

Andy Strang said...

I would be so bloody angry at them. Will you get some money from them to cover your hotel/food during these delays?

Greg said...

I hope so, yes. In this leaflet thing I have, I could claim up to $125 per day towards expenses, and if it never turns up, I think I can claim back the money I had to spend on a new bike. Not all hope is lost, it's just a pain I'm stuck here... My only other concern is that I won't make it to the other side in time, but I can put my return flight backwards of need be.

Wendy Evans said...

Greg we have been working hard at this end to try and sort out this mess. We have made endless calls to Delta departments and after three days finally someone has said they think 'there has been foul play'. It looks like your bike was scanned on at Heathrow and put into a container and then it should have been scanned off as it came out the container at Atlanta. It has been suggested that when it came out someone put it to one side. I questioned how someone could leave airside with such a large package and was told that there would be more than one person involved in the theft. I have sent newspaper reports to CNN News and the Washington Post to highlight your cause. I have also e-mailed Simon Calder, travel writer for The Independent to ask if he can suggest a solution. At the moment it looks like you are going to have to buy a new bike on Thursday which is five days after the loss. Not the solution you wanted but at least your trip can finally get underway.

Andy Strang said...

Also a new bike will take time to get used to - hence why you bought the bike in the UK to get used to the feel of it with all the kit on....bastards.
I felt so relieved when my bike came off the rotating baggage thing in Newport News!