Wednesday 13 May 2009

Day Eleven - Uphill Battle.

This post refers to Sunday 11th May.

I'm going to be an American freight train driver when I'm older, that way they won't wake me up throughout the night. I woke up at about 6:45, and made a tin of spaghetti + meatballs. About 5 minutes before I planned to set off, the heavens opened. I decided that that the rain wasn't going to subside, so I departed. The first 6 or so miles were tough, the roads were very steep up to the blue ridge parkway. While going along here, there were quite a few hills that were long, but not all that steep. Most of the morning involved me sitting in my lowest gear and plodding up hills that finished at over 3200 feet high. I didn't mind the hills all that much if the truth be known, the rushing downhill on the far side tended to be a bit hairy with wet brakes, and the blowing of cold air on wet hands was FREEZING. Anyway, I finished the 20something miles of the BRP in about 3 and a half hours.

Coming down from the ridgeway, I went through a town called Vesuvius, which was where I had first planned to stay. However, It was only about 30 miles into the day, there was NOTHING around there, and to be honest, I wasn't up for camping in the rain. I decide to keep on going to Lexington, on the basis that it was fairly downhill from there, and I could get a motel room to dry out all my stuff. I walked into town to buy some groceries, and ordered dominoes to the room.

Im starting to feel physically tired, and my legs are beginning to feel weary, and I think a rest day would be very welcome in the coming week. I am about on schedule, but I need to go a bit further each day so I can afford to have a rest day.

No comments: