Sunday 31 May 2009

Day Thirty - Back To The Grind.

Waking up this morning felt like a Monday morning. I knew it was raining without needing to look out of my window. I got going at around 9:45, which is later than I would have liked, but I was only going about 50 miles today so I didn't mind too much.

The first 10 or so miles saw me go back into the wide open space that I was in the day before yesterday. I also crossed the Mississippi River, signifying my transition from Illinois to Missouri. I don't know if you know/have noticed, but cars in each state have the state they are from written on them. The reason I mention this is because when I go from one state to another, ALL the number plates change. I've gone perhaps 1/4 of a mile out of Illinois to Missiouri along the exact same piece of road, and there is not one Illinois plate in sight. You'd think there would be some sort of crossover..

Anyhow. While I was pondering this, I was pedalling through the vast planes that I'd been in, in the direction of a hill. Once I reached there, it was pretty much non stop up and downs all day long until I reached Farmington (Not Farringdon as I keep calling it) at around 4pm. After going round one way systems and whatnot, I found the obligatory commercial district that I've come to know and love. I booked into a room to seek shelter from the forcast storms (they definitely aren't here, I'm going to write to the weather channel to get my money back, the weather is beautiful), and went accross to a sports store in search of a Buff. Alas, they too had no idea what they were, they seemed far more clued up on guns and crossbows in there. I've decided I'm going to have to try a bike shop to buy one, which is in a few days time I think.

I'm now writing this in a restaurant called Cici's Pizza, where I would be kicking myself for coming to if it weren't for the fact that it's all you can eat for $7. (I managed 15 slices if you're interested, before getting bored of getting up and so retired.). It was a choice of coming here, or a place called 'Steaks and Shakes' that I wish I had opted for, I like both steaks AND shakes, or my trusted friend 'White Castle', but I didn't feel like burgers. I hope by the end of this trip I am sick of junk food, so I can go on with my life living healthily, and not be tempted by it. We will see how that goes.

Anyway, I'm off either for a dip in the pool, or to watch round 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals. It's so ridiculous. In the UK you would have one final, where all of the hype is around that one game. Here, they play best of 7, with games on every other day. The overall NBA finals start on thursday, and there might a winner by mid june sometime. hahaha.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The search for a Buff! I've a Buff so I know what you're on about, bought mine in Switzerland - but I'm guessing that's not much help!! It even has a little teeny man (or woman) on a bike as part of the pattern! They're actually Spanish so maybe they've not made it across the pond yet - try a snowboard/ski shop!

Pedal On!