Wednesday 6 May 2009

Day Five - Turn of Events.

I slept in until about 8:45 this morning, and headed back over to Bojangles for Jambalaya (kind of like a Mexican risotto). Having got back to my room, I found out that my bike status had gone from "we don't know where your bag is" to "your bag will be delivered to your hotel in the next 12 hours." Hurrah!

No sooner had I found this out (literally during the same phonecall), I had a knocking at my door. Sure enough, there was my bike, box (nearly) intact. I therefore decided that I'd go down to the bike shop and get it put together as soon as possible, so I can get going. I went down there, and the earliest they can get it done for is tomorrow, so I'm planning to head down at about 11ish and hope it's done, if not I'll pester them so it gets done. If it gets done in good time, I'll try and head as far as Charles City, which is about 40 miles away, if not then I'll only be able to make it as far as Williamsburg, which is only about 10 or so miles. We'll see how it goes. Rain is falling heavily at the moment, thunder is... well present, if it's really really bad then I won't go far.

Not a lot else to report to be honest, Ive just spent my evening trying to make my two front and two rear panniers equal in weight. My room is like a sauna at the moment, I'm trying to dry my clothes out that I put on to wash earlier.

I'll let everyone know how my first afternoon of cycling goes tomorrow evening, Internet access permitting.

7 comments:

Wendy Evans said...

I knew Barack Obama was the right person to call. I should have phoned him first!!

Alex Masters said...

not the best of starts ey, but at least now you've got your bike :D does that mean you need to change the day of your return flight?

Danny P said...

It could be a complete wash out if you never actually got it. I know you paid an extra $300 to get the bike there in the first place, so you would naturally expect it on time. It's always a slight bonus when it comes though i bet!
Well you're underway, anxious to hear tomorrows episode

take care

Unknown said...

I hope your ride goes well and you run into very few to no problems! Glad your bike has arrived from the UK okay:) I am setting out from Yorktown to San Francisco as well, leaving May 26th. I'll try to follow your ride until I leave and then probably catch up after my trip and see how our rides compared. I'll be blogging as well and uploading GPS tracks along the way as I ride across America! If you or anyone's interested in following, the URL will be kiki.bikesacrossthe.us or www.transamericancyclist.com.

Take care and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hi Greg...

We are all very keen to know how the first day went. Look forward to hearing about it and how your progress is going. LGFC

Wendy Evans said...

Just spoken to Greg, he is fine. He has made it to Ashland. He doesn't have any internet access but will post his blog as soon as he can find some!

Greg said...

sorry everyone for the lack of updates, I'm in a library now so I'll do them all now. :)