Monday 25 May 2009

Day Twenty-Four - Damp.

I managed to stay fairly dry last night, having put my tent under the porch area of the store. I got up and packed all my things away, had a nice cooked breakfast, and got going by 9:30.

The first milestone of the day around after around 30 minutes of cycling, and that was crossing into the next county/time zone. This was a huge anticlimax, there wasn't even a sign that said I had entered a new county. The only reason I knew I'd gone accross was because there was a thing thanking me for driving safely through the previous county.

It was along here that I met a cyclist who was headed eastbound, having started in Kansas. He lives in Sacrememto, CA, somewhere where I've been looking forward to visiting. He's also rode the Western Express, which is what the route is called between San Francisco and Pueblo, CO. He gave me some tips for that part of the ride, and gave me his name and address if I needed somewhere to stay when in Sacrememto, something that I hugely appreciate.

The next milestone of the day was my computer going over 1000 miles. I stopped to take photos, and carried on my way.

The cycling today was fairly uneventful, a lot of ups and downs. The weather was the main factor at play today, there was a slight cool breeze, but it was ridiculously warm and humid, with plenty of showers thrown in for good measure. This meant that it was fine on the (relative) flats and downhills, but uphills were tough.

Dogs were again very little trouble, I'm going to stop mentioning that fact now to be honest, I think now I'm in the West of Kentucky the situation is unlikely to get worse. I did have one dog that looked as though it was going to give a good chase, but it just ran along the side of the road chasing it's tail. Made me laugh.

I had planned to camp again tonight at a place callled Utica. I had two choices of places to camp, either at a Fire Station, or an Elementary School. Today is Memorial day in the US, which is like rememberance Sunday only it's a 4 day weekend. This meant that the Fire Station was deserted, and the School had closed for the summer holidays, and I couldn't see anyone there either. My only option was to come 9 miles off route to Owensboro to get a room. I didn't mind too much because I could dry out properly and sleep well, it's just a pain coming off route. I can take a road to cut the corner off tomorrow morning, so hopefully it shouldn't make a huge difference.

Where I'm staying is a basically FULL of restarants, almost all of which are fast food. I opted for the Chinese buffet, because I can eat my body weight in protien & carbohydrates for less than $10.

I'd love to tell you where I'm going tomorrow, but k havn't looked at the map yet. I think it was called Marion, which is just inside the border between Kentucky & Illinois. I should hopefully have internet though, The weather is forcast to be bad again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Elimentary school for sure. id love to be able to spend a night at a school. only if the kids were also there....LOL only joking