Tuesday 2 June 2009

Day Thirty-Two - First Month.

Today marks one month of being in the States, though not one month of riding yet, courtesy of Delta.

I made sure I got an early night last night in order to wake up early and fresh, instead I woke up late and groggy. I went for an omlette in a local diner, and going at 9:45ish, a time that needs to be improved upon. I was prepared for a hilly day, and a hilly day I got.

My day would be divided up into three sections, 27 miles, 20 miles and 23 miles. The first two parts were both on the same road, and the third part was on what the road became when it changed number. Needless to say, navigation wasn't an issue.

The first part of the day was tough, and by the time I reached the first stop I was ready to stop at the next town. However, I met a cyclist who was headed eastbound from San Francisco. He told me about how good Utah and Nevada were, about how hot it was in the daytime and about the 130 mile day you have to do at one point. I'm not really sure what to make of that, but I'm confident that 70-80 miles in the hills is comparable to a much further flatland distance. He also left a month ago tomorrow (2nd may), which is pretty good going. I learnt of how there wasn't a place to stop in Summersville (contrarary to my map), but the last stretch to Houston was relatively flat.

I stopped for a milkshake at a dairy bar (my new favourite things), and set off onto the second leg of my journey, just as hilly as the first. There wasn't a lot to say about this to be honest. The scenery was nice to look at, with trees lining both sides of the road, and the occasional river, or view over the mountains. The novelty wore off after a while though.

I stopped in Summersville, my second town, where indeed there was nowhere to stay. I wasn't too fussed about that, the town wasn't great anyway. I stopped for some more liquids, and set off for the last 23 miles. This part flew by compared to the rest of the day, mostly because I was averaging faster than 11mph. It was flatter than before, which was good. I arrived into Houston at around 5:30, quite late for me. I went up to the motel that was recommended to me. I booked in, and went out for Chinese soon after. This meal was disappointing to be honest, the food wasn't great. This didn't stop me eating my bodyweight, and I retired back to my room.

I have no idea where I'm heading tomorrow, I havn't looked at my map yet. I know I'm camping soon, I can't remember when. If it's tomorrow, I doubt I'll be able to update this until the day after.

1 comment:

Andy Burton said...

Hi Greg!
Hey man sounds like your doing really well despite Delta's help, just thought I'd write you a note to say good luck for the next leg of your journey! Don't worry about the camping, I've just come back from the Chester tour with your dad & thats stuff is in your blood!
(get studley to show you the photos if their not on facebook yet!)
All the best.
Chunder