Saturday 13 June 2009

Day Forty-Three - Time Trials.

This morning was another grim start, but like yesterday, procrastination prevailed and by 9:15 or so the sun was shining. I stopped by a petrol station for an energy drink perk-me-up. I'm not too sure why or how, but I cycled super fast today. Perhaps I had a slight tailwind, and the fact that it was fairly flat. Without exaggerating, my average speed was about 21mph.

After an hour and forty minutes or so, I was 30something miles down, and I stopped for a short break. In this time, things changed. It was a combination of the wind changing direction, me becoming complacent in my days progress, and that my legs were crying out at me for going so fast. The second part of the day as a result was slower, but Ibwas still going 17-18mph. A further hour and twenty, and I'd arrived at Scott City, my end point for today. I could have gone further, but I am finishing at the same place tomorrow regardless, so it didn't matter too much.

I found where I was staying, so I went to eat and kill some time. An hour and a half later, still not ready. It wasn't until 5:15 before I got into my room. A bit of a waste of a day, but nevermind. Not a lot else to today other than meeting two cyclists who were going from Pueblo, Colorado to the East coast.

I'm not 100% sure where I'm going tomorrow, but it's in GMT-7 = mountain time! I'm going to try to stay on central time though, so I can get up an hour earlier in the morning without much effort. I'm not sure though, I do fancy a lie in!

1 comment:

Andy Strang said...

Hey Greg

Can you email me your phone number that you are using in the US? Cheers Andy Strang