Thursday 11 June 2009

Day Forty-One - 70 Mile Sprint.

After writing my last blog post, I got turfed out of the library before my photos had finished uploading, and I found out that unless you upload them all, none of them went, so I've got that all to do again. I left the library, and went for a slow ride round town to explore. I pretty much stumbled upon a space museum down the far end of the road I was staying on. Apparently it's the second largest collection of space stuff other than the Smithsonian. I have no idea what that means, but the fact they had a massive rocket outside and a jet fighter hanging inside the lobby justified the $9 entry. It was a pretty impressive place, the highlight being the actual Apollo XIII at the end. That was amazing.

After all this excitement, I went back to the church where I was staying and got an earlyish night.

This morning was an early start, and I got on the road by 8:30, after another tour of town finding somewhere that was open. The weather was miserable, there was a really fine rain that wasn't cold, but soaks you. The first 10 miles or so were out to Nickerson, the last civilisation before my end point. After a further 8 or so, I reached 95th Avenue, which was the road that went straight to Larned, where I am now. It was divided into three sections of 15, 15 and 20 miles (in my head, I found it easier to divide it up.) There isn't a lot to tell about this, since the road was dead straight and it was fields the whole way on either side. A school bus driver did stop and give me two mini chocolate bars when I was stopped at an intersection before starting the 20 mile stretch, which was very welcome.

Oh I did pass 2000 miles on my computer today too. woohoo!

With about 2 miles to go to Larned, it started raining again, just enough to get me wet before arriving. It was about 1:45 at this point. I basically sat and relaxed in my
room until early evening, where I went out to search for the Chinese restaurant, involving walking half a mile in the wrong direction before realising.

So tomorrow I'm heading to Ness City, which is on my next and last map on the Trans-America trail, before heading onto the Western Express. There is no elevation profile on this map either, but they do openly admit that there are hills in parts. I don't understand why they they don't just put it on...

No comments: