Monday 29 June 2009

Day Fifty-Nine - Bitten.

After a fairly restless night, I was up by 6:25 and on the road by 8:30.

To be honest, today was mostly uneventful. My route today was straight along the same road for 50 miles to a place called Torrey, with the incline being progressively uphill the whole way. The first part was fairly flat, and I was able to average around 14mph, but towards the end it got a lot steeper. It also was very hot today, though this could have been because I wasn't moving very fast. I got bitten a fair amount by Mosquitos, the only creatures that seem to survive in the desert. Perhaps it was me smelling, or my legs, or that my panniers are flourescent yellow. I need to pick up some repellent at some point, they are a nightmare.

I arrived in Torrey at around 1:30, and decided that I wanted to stay in a hotel to get out the heat. I opted for the Sandstone Inn, which is $74 per night. I didn't mind that too much though, I've earnt a surplus from camping the past couple of days.

Tomorrow I'm heading to a place called Escalante, an even 60 or so, including the peak I've been working towards today. This is my third-to-last major peak (over 8000ft), with the next one the day after tomorrow and the last being before I swoop down to sea level. I've worked out that I have 14 more cycling days to go, throw in a rest day and that means I'll be arriving in San Francisco on the 13th July. Exciting Stuff!

No comments: