Friday 12 June 2009

Day Forty-Two - Trans-Am Home Straight.

I woke up early again today, with the intention of setting out early. However, it was bucketing down with rain and I didn't much feel like getting wet. I sat around and had a leisurely breakfast, while chatting to the first cyclists I'd see today. They were doing my trip in reverse, only they were doing it supported. They told me stories about what to expect of the Rockies, and quite frankly didn't make me feel great about them. Apparently I need to be really clues up on the weather, as it can change in 20 minutes for the worse.

I got on my way at around 9:30, and did the first 10 without much trouble. The next 20 were into the wind, which was not a lot of fun at all. I was on the bottom of my handlebars for most of the time, which is good for aerodynamics but not for my not-yet-strong-enough neck. I stopped at a place called Rush Centre for a much needed lunch. The place I went to had a menu with four choices - 1/4lb burger, 1/4lb cheeseburger, 1/2lb burger, 1/2lb cheeseburger, all with fries. I went for option 4, and even with two drinks the bill came to $6.

On the next stretch, I met three more cyclists, one who was riding on his own, and two other guys that was desperately trying to catch the first guy up. The rest of the day was uneventful other than me changing onto my last transam map, before I move onto the Western Express. I cruised at 20mph to Ness City, and am now at the Derrick Inn. This place looks a bit dodgy from the outside, it doesn't look like a normal hotel. I now realise this is because the building is inside out, and all of the doors are inside. Imagine a shopping mall, with bedrooms instead of shops. There is also a pool in the middle, but I didn't fancy using it because it's like being on stage, everyone can look out their windows at you.

Tomorrow I'm headed to Scott City, the last night I will spend in Central Time, before moving to Mountain Time, GMT-7. The day after that, I'll cross into Colorado and start warming up for the Rockies.

On a side note, there is a hiking/skiing shop in Pueblo, CO. Will my quest for a buff finally come to an end?!

No comments: