Tuesday 16 June 2009

Day Forty-Six - Crawling.

Another early start saw me back on the road at 8:30 this morning. The weather was surprisingly good, with only a slight headwind.

The first part of the day was to a place called Sugar City, where I'd initially thought about stopping tonight. This stretch took me through landscape that seemed even more wide open than before. I think it was because when you look north or south, it was only the curvature of the earth that stopped you from seeing any further.

I stopped in a cafe for lunch having reached Sugar City in good time, where I decided to aim for a town called Fowler, a further 24 miles up the road. I spoke to a guy in this cafe who wanted to show me the 100 year old garage and house outside, which I saw before leaving. The following miles were also fairly uneventful, it had become apparent though that I was entering desert scrubland, the ground at side of the road has now become very dry and sandy.

Ive had to get a room again tonight, there is a storm coming over in the night sometime that I don't fancy being in a tent in. I'll be in Pueblo for the next two nights too, but after that, camping it is.

A brief post today, not a lot has happened today to be honest. I promise some exciting stories west of Pueblo, that's when the fun starts in the Rockies.

Edit - I completely forgot to mention why I called this post 'crawling'. It was in reference to the number of flies/critters that decided to tag along with me by sticking to my legs and clothes as I went past. You'd think I'd have learnt to cycle with my mouth shut by now wouldn't you..

No comments: