Thursday 4 June 2009

Day Thirty-Three - Big Ozarks II.

This post refers to Tuesday 2nd June.

Today was another day spent in the Ozarks. It wasn't as up and down as yesterday, but there were definite steep hills that didn't let me forget where I was.

I woke up feeling better today, though I left the air conditioner on on full overnight, making my room about -5 by the time 7:15 came.

I set off around 9:30, where the sun wasn't too strong. Yesterday was blisteringly hot, and my now sunburnt arms made me have to revert back to long sleeves. I was somehow cooler this was, I don't know if it was actually cooler or it was the shirt.

Anyway, today was fairly similar to yesterday, only I went past more farms than anything else. My old friend the headwind was back, but it wasn't so strong that it had a major impact on my speed. Navigation was dead simple again, I followed the same road for about 55 miles. I arrived in Marshfield at about 4:15, but spent 45 minutes looking for somewhere to stay that wasn't ridiculously expensive. I'm now at the 'Plaza Motel', which sounds a lot more grand than it is, but it's adequate all the same.

I went for Mexican food tonight, and had a kind of faster platter l that was again, fairly average.

I then went to a place called 'DQ' or 'Dairy Queen', where I thought I could get WiFi, but it turned out I had to walk into the middle of the car park. I went out with my marshmallow milkshake I'd bought so I could sit in DQ, and began to check my emails. I could hear a storm in the distance, but didn't anticipate how fast it would come overhead, so I didn't get a chance to do everything I wanted. I'll be camping tomorrow, which will probably be wet. A flash flood warning just came up on tv, telling me to switch to channel 4 immediately.

No comments: