Wednesday 1 July 2009

Day Sixty-One - Change of Fortune.

Today was a slow start, almost like a hangover from last nights lethargy. I persuaded myself to get up (it's 6am at this time), and was packed up by 7:30 or so. I made sure I had a good breakfast, and was off by 8:45, after realising the only petrol station around was back at the other end of town. (I needed to buy bottled water because the stuff out the ground was cloudy.)

I can't remember if I said this yesterday, but the overall plan for today was up, down, up, down, all in roughly equal proportions. The first 18 to the top took exactly two hours. (I know this because I listened to a 2 hour Kissy Sell Out show from Radio1.) This was hard work as it was heating up quickly, but by the time I got to the top I didn't mind because I could cool down on the decent. I swept past about four eastbound cyclists, who only could manage to say to me 'how far?' in reference to the climb. I'm assuming it was a tough uphill. I cruised downhill, and made it to a place called Tropic for lunch. I was grateful for the stop by this point, I was feeling tired and a bit dehydrated by this point. (I had no need to be, but I couldn't be bothered to stop two miles out to refill.)

I had a hamburger from the only restaurant I could find, fortunately having WiFi. Over an hour passed, and I thought I'd better leave. I wasn't full from lunch though, so stopped in a shop for an energy drink. I don't know / doubt you've been following, but on Twitter I bet someone I could find a bigger can of one than they could, something that I succeeded in doing here. 946ml is the total to beat. I had that, and was absolutely wired on B Vitamins and sugar. I'm not sure if it was this (I expect it was) or my choice of music (a guy who goes by the name of Arnej), but I shot up the next hill with ease. It was ridiculously steep, but it only went on for less than 10 miles so either it didn't take too long, or I was well entertained in the process. I went past turn offs to Bryce Canyon, which I've been told is very nice, and into Red Canyon. Along here I was diverted onto a cycle path, the first I'd been on in literally thousands of miles. It felt really weird to be honest, everything on it was like a normal road, but minature, making me feel like an absolute giant thundering down a normal road. This was all good fun, I took lots of photos, etc etc, and before too long I was back onto the road and on the final decent into (I can never remember the name of this place....) Panguitch.

I found where I was camping, set up my tent, and went to find somewhere to eat. I wasn't up for something expensive, so walked past the place that looked expensive, and went to somewhere that looked a bit run down from the outside. Of course, it would have to be the case that I'd got it wrong with my pricing assumptions, and ended up ordering the cheapest thing on the menu at $13.50. It was very nice, but to be honest it was wasted on me because I'd have probably just as soon had a mcdonalds if there was one.

Anyway I'm back at my campsite now, about to get an early night for tomorrows monumental climb to Cedar City. It's a bit like today, only both of the uphills are one after another, followed by both downhills one after the other.

The title of this post is in reference to my front rack (as well as me finding it a lot easier than anticipated) because in a similar way to what happened when I broke the first side, I found another bungee cord at the side of the road, meaning it will probably last until California now. :)

No comments: