Saturday 4 July 2009

Day Sixty-Four - Easy Start.

I had a fairly restless night last night, facing a catch 22 situation of being either too hot, or waking up with a headache because it's too cold. As a result I didn't get up until 6:25, and didn't get on the road until about 9:30, after going to a hardware store to pick up some better tape to fix the front racks better.

The first 20 miles or so were easy, a gentle decline through landscape that was wide open, something that was quite a novelty compared to what I'd been going through recently. After that, I had a fairly steady uphill, that was surprisingly easy going, and not as steep as I was expecting. It didn't slow me up too much either. I soon reached the 6500ft summit, and cruised downhill to Minersville.

I stopped for lunch in a petrol station/diner combo for around an hour, not minding the time because Milford was only about 15 miles away. I eventually left and headed down the road, again taking less time than I thought. I was quite grateful for this, because historically the days after rest days have been hard to get back into the swing of cycling.

When I arrived in Milford, I was quite surprised at how quiet it was, I was expecting a town slightly larger. Anyway, I followed the directions to the RV park where it suggested camping, which was basically a shingle car park with a tap in the middle. There are so many reasons why this place wasn't suitable, so many that I can't be bothered to mention. I therefore headed to a motel that advertised '$34.99 rooms.' Brilliant, I thought. It turned out that sign was painted years ago, and I couldn't really dispute it because the owners barely spoke English. So I got into my room, spoke to home, and went out to eat at the restaurant next to where I was. It was here that it struck me as to the relevance to tomorrow, in that I think EVERYWHERE will be shut. I therefore stocked up on snacks, and I'm just hoping that somewhere is.

I've got an 84 mile stretch to a place called Baker tomorrow, which is the longest stretch without services I have left. I do have plenty more of 70 and 60 miles, but I suppose I can take some kind of milestone from it. I also pass into Nevada, and Pacific Time in about the last 5 miles. The route consists of three hills, two with an incline roughly like today, and one that is quite a bit steeper. We will see how all that pans out.

No comments: