Saturday 11 July 2009

Day Seventy-One - Carson City.

After another early start, I was just about set to hit the road around 8:30, before finding out that the complimentary breakfast was cereal. I like cereal, but I'd have to have eaten so much of it that I didn't have the time or the patience. I therefore went to Sonic, before heading out by around 9.

The ride was fairly boring today, with the ground being mainy flat with a few small uphills. It was still through the desert, but there were much more service stops along the way. I stopped for a drink at somewhere called Stagecoach. I was quite lucky with the wind too, but it kicked up with 15 miles to go to be fairly strong, meaning I could only go about 10 or 11mph. For 95% of today, I had a lane/hard shoulder to myself, which was great because I didn't have to watch out for traffic. I did however have to watch out for tiny stones to avoid a puncture. I did so well at this until about 3 miles out, where I picked up a puncture at the back. I managed to pump it up to limp the next mile, but I was having to stop to re-pump that I decided to just push, as I was only about 2 miles away from where I wanted to be.

I eventually arrived at my hotel in Carson City, checked in, and fixed the puncture. I ordered a pizza to the room because I couldn't be bothered to go out (the pizza guy tried to take my $20 for a $16 order.. the cheek), and I'm now watching the first Harry Potter, to which I listened to a lot of the audiobook today.

Tomorrow I'm heading to something creek reservoir resort park, I can't remember what. It'll be the last significant uphill of the trip, with the following day being a return to almost sea level.

No comments: