Friday 10 July 2009

Day Seventy - Hold Up.

I woke up this morning at 5:30 to the sound of shooting, but only coming from someone watching a spaghetti western next door. I didn't get up until 6:20, and went over to the bar to eat. I didn't fully have my appetite back from last nights shennanigans, so it was a bit of a case of eating because I ought to. I eventually got on the road at 9 or so.

The first 15-20 miles or so were the last of this part of the mountains, leaving only the Sierra-Nevadas to go in a couple of days time. I decended into the desert plains. This is a lot more how you or I might expect the desert to be, rather than the dry, sandy mountains that I've been going through this far. The road was painfully straight and boring along here too. The scenery is amazing, but it's kind of like staring at the same postcard for hours on end.

So really, not a lot happened for the next 30 miles to Fallon. I stopped for lunch, which was quite a novelty as it was the first time I'd reached civilisation during the day. I ate lunch, and took my maps inside to change them over. It was here I noticed a typo on the map. I'll try my best to explain it. My map has panels of about 22-40 miles roughly, and when you get to one 'matchline', you go up to the next matchline above it. Silver Springs is exactly on the matchline, which means it is shown on both map panels. After the name 'Silver Springs', there are a list of symbols of facilities that there are there, and when there is a star, it basically means it's a good place to stop, and has somewhere to stay, a grocery, a restaurant, and a couple of other things. The Silver Springs that was written on the lower map panel had a star, but the Silver Springs above had everything but somewhere to stay. I looked on the back, and sure enough, there was nowhere to stay. I think the most likely explanation was that there used to be somewhere there, but not anymore, and the crude people at the Adventure Cycling Association havnt updated the map properly.

As a result, I've been forced to stay in Fallon tonight. I'll try and head to Woodfords still tomorrow, but that's 90 miles from here, so I'll have to see how it goes. If I don't make it that far, it means i'll have a longer day the day after, hopefully still ending up in Placerville on schedule. It doesn't matter too much now for timing because I'm so close.

No comments: